I’ve been making Tiramisu for well over a decade and it’s a show stopper.I’ve also adapted it to kids cooking class (with adjustments you can make if you want it to be caffeine-free.
We’re making this today (Friday) in our Virtual Cooking Camp and then for our VIP Kids Can Cook Inner Circle clients that evening (taught by me)
I’m very excited to get into chef-mode!
Tiramisu (from recipe)
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese, at room temperature (or cream cheese if you can’t find this)
- Cookie Base: 30 Italian ladyfinger cookies (Savoiardi). Italian specialty stores will carry this. Alternatively you can use a box of Vanilla Wafers (about 1lb box)
- 1 bar of dark chocolate
- Liquid: You can use 2 cups of strong coffee OR (for a caffeine-free version) use 2 cups of warmed milk, mixed with ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Large glass oven tray, for serving (to see the layers!)
Tools: Hand blender or Machine Mixer (for whipping the cream)
If you’re using coffee or the milk and cocoa mixture, make sure it’s cold or at room temperature
In a bowl place your heavy cream, and use a whisk (or hand-mixer if you have one) until it forms soft clumps, about 4-5 minutes. Add ¼ cup of sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, mix and taste. Add more sugar if needed.
Add the mascarpone, ½ cup sugar in a bowl and mix well with a fork. Use a rubber spatula to fold in the whipped cream until you have one uniform mass of cream. Taste and adjust as needed.
Dip one cookie into the liquid mixture for 2 seconds, then place at the bottom of a large glass oven tray. Continue with more cookies until the bottom is covered. Add about ¼ of the cream mixture and spread it around. Repeat the same process by dipping the cookies into the chocolate mixture on top. Add another ¼ cup of the cream mixture. Use a peeler to peel a bit of chocolate off the chocolate bar. You can also grate the chocolate. Top the tiramisu with the chocolate mixture, cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours or, ideally, overnight. Remove from fridge, cut into portions and serve.
Enjoy the recipe
- Veggie Mac & Cheese
- Cobb Salad with Italian Vinaigrette and Baked Croutons
- Cauliflower Fried “Rice” with Eggs & Veggies
- Caesar Salad with Homemade Croutons and Sautéed Chicken Breast
And if you want to join Virtual Cooking Camp, and learn how to make this from our chefs, click on the link below.